Over the next two weeks, the English Department will hold four Capstone Colloquia for Majors in Literature and Rhetoric & Writing. The Colloquia presentations are for ENG 484 and ENG 413. In the first Colloquium, on Wednesday, May 1st in 3214 Centennial Hall, eight English majors from ENG 484 will present their Literature Capstone projects.
The following students will present papers in the first Colloquium:
Wednesday, May 1, 8:45-10:40am (3214 Centennial Hall)
· Erin Anglin: "The Language of Privilege in Charles Chestnutt's The Conjure Woman and Other Conjure Tales"
· Jacob Brunclik: "Joyce's Gabriel Conroy and the Struggle Against Colonial Social Binaries in Early Twentieth Century Ireland"
· Elizabeth Chavalas: "'All of Russia is our orchard': New Historicism and Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard"
· Amanda Janikowski: "'We were irreconcilably other': Questioning Disability and Identity in Adolescent Literature"
· Dillon Mader: "New Materialism in Robinson Crusoe, Homo Economicus: An Application of Thing Theory, Vibrant Matter, and Alien Phenomenology"
· Steven Prihoda: "Shouting into a Hole in the Wall: Etgar Keret, Magical Realism, and Language"
· Kallie Schell: "The Poisonwood Bible: A Microcosm of Colonialism of the Congo"
· Samuel Slater: "Drowning in Dionysian Thirst: The Self-Destruction of Gustav von Aschenbach"
A brief question-and-answer period follows each presentation. Light refreshments will be served. Please drop in for any or all of the presentations and encourage your students to attend.
During the week of May 5th, there will be two Rhetoric & Writing Colloquia, as well as a second Literature Capstone Colloquium. A second announcement with students’ names and paper titles will be posted next week. In the meantime, here are the dates and times of the second week of colloquia:
The Rhetoric & Writing Colloquia: 259 Cartwright
Tuesday, May 7th : 9:00-10:30am and 11:00-12:30pm
Thursday, May 9th : 9:00-10:30am and 11:00-12:30pm
Second Literature Colloquium: 3214 Centennial Hall
Wednesday, May 8th: 8:45 – 10:40am